10 Trini dishes and their calorie counts
Trinis love a good chicken roti or pelau, macaroni pie and stewed chicken. But do you know how many calories you’re really consuming?
Here’s a breakdown of 10 of your favourite foods and their (approximate) calorie counts (per serving):
1. Chicken roti: 500 calories
(Photo: Homemade Zagat)
2. Pelau (2 cups): 636 calories
3. Macaroni pie (235g): 456 calories
5. Doubles (One doubles): 300 calories
6. Currants roll (one roll): 305 calories
7. Bake and shark (or shark and bake): 600 calories
(Photo courtesy Eat Ah Food)
8. Oil Down (one serving): 470 calories
9. Cassava pone (187g): 189 calories
10. Sponge cake (one slice): 243 calories
So bear in mind if you’re gearing up for carnival, every calorie counts!