2020 Great Race is on, says T&T Powerboat Association
Photo via the TTBA/Facebook.
The Trinidad and Tobago Powerboat Association says the 2020 Great Race is still on.
In a statement shared via social media the Association said government approval was given for the event which will be held September 26, 2020:
'Great Race 2020 is on! The Government has approved the 2020 Great Race. The race will be held on Saturday, the 26th September 2020. The Trinidad and Tobago Powerboat Association wishes to thank the Honourable Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley, the Honourable Minister of National Security Stuart Young and the Honourable Minister of Health Dr. Terrence Deyalsingh for giving us the go ahead.'
The TTBA said however the health regulations are in place for the event:
'While THE GREAT RACE 2020 has been approved , the EXCO as well all the racers, have to ensure that we do not break the trust of the Honorable Prime Minister, the Minister of National Security, the Minister of Health as well as any breaches to the regulations as regards to Covid -19 while running the race.'
According to the TTBA, guidelines for the 2020 Great Race are as follows:
1. No rafting up of support boats will be allowed in Tobago.
No swimming will be allowed in Tobago, as beaches remain closed at this time.
2. The TTPS and the TTCG will assist the TTPBA with the running of the Great Race 2020 by patrolling the areas where there are usually crowds gathered to watch the race to ensure that there are no crowds of people or raft up of boats.
3. The Great Race 2020 will be live streamed and can be viewed from your homes locally, in Trinidad and Tobago, as well as internationally.
4. Spectators will not be allowed to gather anywhere
5. Official Support boats are to have a crew of 5 or less people.
The TTBA said: 'We would like all fans, racers and organizers to stay safe and follow all of the current restrictions so that we can have a safe successful race.'
The Association said more details on the live stream and entrants would be given soon.