5 tips for protecting your roof during the rainy season
Rainy season is upon us and it is more important now than ever to ensure your roof is in tip-top shape before the heavy rains start. Here are some tips to help you secure your roof against the elements.
1. Ensure that all your roof sheeting is properly secured to the roof’s frame using the correct amount and type of fasteners. Also, ensure the frame is properly attached to the building’s main structure.
2. If your roof is connected by a ring beam ensure that it is properly secured to the rest of the structure. Additionally, if you have television antennas or satellite dishes on your roof, double check that they are secure, as they may become dangerous projectiles even during light storms.
3. Keep the gutters clean. One of the most common causes of roof leaks is clogged gutters as this can cause the water to build up during rain. So clean the gutters and downspouts regularly and check for breaks or gaps in the seams and make certain that the brackets holding the gutters against the house are securely attached. Remember, never use an abrasive power hose to clean your roof as this may damage it.
4. Fix any leaks ahead of the heavy rains. Make sure you wear rubber-soled shoes to prevent slipping, use a harness and always work with a buddy. Take a garden hose, go up to the roof with the right safety gear and start spraying in different locations to find the leak.
5. Trim trees in the surrounding area. Ensure there are no overhanging branches that can break off and puncture your roof during inclement weather.