Tuesday 18 June, 2019

Autopsy reveals details of soldier's last moments alive

Lance Corporal Marcus Gay

Lance Corporal Marcus Gay

Lance Corporal Marcus Gay, 31, was "executed" by his attackers. 

Gay, a member of an elite unit of the TT Defence Force, was shot dead on Monday night in Moruga in an incident which saw five other persons, including his colleague Lance Corporal Mark Blunt, nursing gunshot injuries.

According to an autopsy performed yesterday at the Forensic Sciences Centre in St James, Gay was shot a total of three times.

At the time the shooting began, Gay was facing the direction of his attacker as the entrance wound was to the front of the chest. The bullet exited from the back.

After he was hit, Gay attempted to turn around, presumably to take cover from his attacker.

It was at this moment he was struck again. 

The entrance wound was to the back, and exited in the front.

Due to the first two injuries, Gay fell to the ground, landing on his back.

In his final moments, he would have seen his attacker, as the man walked up to him and shot him at point blank range to the head.

This entry wound, the autopsy revealed, was over the left eyebrow. 

Due to soot and powder residues on the face, it was estimated that the firearm which fired the fatal shot would have been about 20 centimetres away from his head. 

Gay was shot dead at about 11 pm on Monday in a community known as Dougla City, along the St Mary’s Main Road.

When found, Lance Corporal Mark Blunt was lying on the eastern side of the roadway with gunshot wounds to his leg.

Lance Corporal Marcus Gay was in an open area with gunshot wounds to the chest and head.

The other wounded men were in the same area.

Victor Brown was observed with gunshot wounds to the head.

His brother, Vincent Brown was observed with gunshot wounds to the chest. 

Gerard Graham was observed with gunshot wounds to the hand, while Renrick St Clair was observed with gunshot wounds to the legs.

They were all rushed to the Princes Town District Health Facility, however, Gay was pronounced dead on arrival.  

The other five victims were treated and stabilised, and transferred to the San Fernando General Hospital where they remain warded.

A team of officers including Supt Pragg, ASP Ali, ASP Mohammed, Inspector Gajadar, Sgt Ramlogan and Cpl Fortune, among several others from the Southern Division and the Homicide Bureau, visited the scene.

More on this as it becomes available. 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: