Beetham Highway to close on Friday
The Beetham Highway will be closed to all vehicular traffic on Friday as work on the placement of the Sea Lots Pedestrian Overpass superstructure gets underway.
The Ministry of Works and Transport has advised that a temporary traffic disruption is in place for the Highway as to facilitate the timely completion of these works.
The disruption is between the Barataria Overpass, Beetham Highway and the Port of Spain Lighthouse on Wrightson Road and is in effect from 9:00 pm on Friday to 6:00 pm on Sunday.
Motorists are advised to use one of the alternative routes provided:
During this period, motorists are advised to utilize one of the alternative routes provided: -
1. Motorists wishing to proceed east - Veer left onto South Quay from Wrightson Road and use any route appropriate to your destination.
2. Motorists wishing to proceed west – It is recommended that motorists utilize the Barataria Overpass to the Priority Bus Route, the Eastern Main Road or the Lady Young Road, Morvant to their destination.
3. Motorists wishing to access Pioneer Drive, Sealots from the West - The westbound lane of the Beetham Highway, between the Lighthouse and Pioneer Drive will be converted to two-way traffic to accommodate motorists wishing to access Pioneer Drive.
4. Motorists wishing to access Development Drive (Bhagwansingh and NP), Sealots- Local traffic will be permitted to use the westbound and eastbound lanes of the Beetham Highway to access Development Drive. No access to the Beetham Highway will be permitted from Abattoir Road and Production Drive.
5. Motorists wishing to access the Central Market- Persons can utilize the Northern entrance (from the Priority Bus Route) to access the Central Market during this time.
Alternative routes as Beetham Highway to be closed on Friday
Motorists are advised to proceed with caution and observe all directional signs and barriers; comply with instructions from police officers on site to facilitate a safe and orderly flow of traffic; be aware of heavy equipment entering and exiting the site; and drive with caution on all milled (possibly uneven) surfaces.
For further information, please visit the Ministry of Works and Transport website at www.mowt.gov.tt or call the PURE Unit at 638-2350/675-4052.
Editor's note: This article was amended to add additional alternative routes following an update issued by the MOWT on Wednesday September 19, 2018.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store: http://bit.ly/GetiLoop