Thursday 24 September, 2020

Blind man escapes house fire

A blind man narrowly escaped death last night when the house he lived in caught on fire. 

The victim, Rupert Andrews, told police that at about 10.15 pm he was in his room at a single storey house along Maxwell Lane, in the East Dry River, Port of Spain, when he detected smoke. 

He soon realized that the temperature of the room he was in was quickly increasing. Andrews raised an alarm and fled to a nearby house where his sibling lived. 

Residents of the area notified the police and fire services at about 10.19 pm. 

Appliances from the Belmont Fire Station and the Wrightson Road HQ responded. 

Andrews, police said, sustained minor injuries as he attempted to escape, and was taken for medical treatment at the Port of Spain General Hospital. 

The fire officers contained the blaze to the room and surrounding areas and prevented any further spread. Initial estimates place damages at about $25,000. However, fire officers have no official causes for the blaze.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: