Monday 22 October, 2018

Boy that died from smoke inhalation laid to rest

Relatives paid their final respects to nine-year-old Shalma Motilal in a funeral service which occurred on Tuesday.

Shalma was cremated at the Mafeking cremation site following a funeral service at his home along Kernahan Village, Manzanilla.

The child, a standard four student at the Ortoire RC School, died sometime on Wednesday night as a result of suffocation from toxic inhalation.

It is believed that he died following a series of unfortunate events, starting with a power outage at the family’s home which led his parents to light a fire at the back of the house in an attempt to ward off mosquitos, as well as place a mosquito coil in the bedroom of the young child.

This, police said, coupled with poor ventilation in the rooms, led to Shalma’s death.

His sibling, eight-year-old Narad, was also seriously affected by the noxious fumes.

Luckily, after days of treatment at the Sangre Grande District Hospital, he was able to recover and was present at his brother’s funeral.

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:

Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop

Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store:  http://bit.ly/GetiLoop