Sunday 26 May, 2019

Chaos over, Sangre Grande traffic plan reverts to original

Sangre Grande Regional Corporation Chairman Terry Rondon says the approval has been granted to revert to the old traffic plan for the town of Sangre Grande.

He made the comment following a newspaper report which noted that chaos erupted when the new plan rolled out on Wednesday. According to the article, scores of dri­vers were left con­fused with a traf­fic grid­lock stretch­ing as far as Va­len­cia.

In a statement issued on Thursday, Rondon said the plan was previously agreed to seven years ago.

"I wish to put on record that the new plan was established and agreed to in 2012 by ALL stakeholders."

Related Article

He also denied comments in the newspaper report which said he called on the authorities to revert the traffic arrangements.

 "As first citizens of the region, it is only through the intervention of the Office of the Chairman that the previous traffic plan was reverted to. An intervention of this nature CANNOT be done by another organisation, as it would not have the authority to do so. In fact, it was the Sangre Grande Municipal Police which covered the newly installed signs earlier today when the request was approved to revert to the previous plan," he explained.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: