Monday 26 October, 2020

CMO: Recent cases may have contacted people who 'crossed borders'

Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram said some local positive COVID-19 cases may have had contact with people who recently crossed borders into Trinidad and Tobago.

Speaking at Wednesday’s media briefing on COVID-19, Dr Parasram said the information was obtained during contact tracing exercises with a group of positive cases which were confirmed by the Health Ministry in recent weeks.

‘During our contact tracing exercises which have been going on in the last couple weeks, we have reason to believe that a person or persons from that group had been in contact with individuals who have recently managed to cross our borders.’

He also urged patients and contacts to be forthcoming with information: ‘We are relying heavily on the history given to us by our patients and their contacts.’

He said considering the gap in time between case number 116 in April 20, 2020 and the recent local case on July 20, 2020, this is likely to be 'the start of a new phase of COVID-19 infections in Trinidad and Tobago'.

He said however due to the 'disorganised' nature of this second phase, the spread has been categorised as sporadic as per the guidelines set out by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

As of July 29, 2020, there were 20 active cases of the virus; the most recent being announced during Wednesday's briefing, after the result was received just after 8 am Wednesday morning. 

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information comes to hand. 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: