Communications down in Dominica after Hurricane Maria
Concern is growing as hours after the passage of Hurricane Maria early this morning, there appears to be no communication with persons on the island.
Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit posted a statement on Facebook around 2 a.m. saying, "Initial reports are of widespread devastation. So far we have lost all what money can buy and replace. My greatest fear for the morning is that we will wake to news of serious physical injury and possible deaths as a result of likely landslides triggered by persistent rains."
There has been no communication from any officials since, though several unverified messages are circulating on social media with people describing massive destruction.
Dominicans in the diaspora have reported difficulty contact relatives by telephone as cell service also appears to have been severely affected.
The Associated Press said a company that tracks the status of the internet around the world said most of Dominica's internet service appears to be down in the wake of Hurricane Maria.
Akamai Technologies told the Associated Press it sees small spikes of activity, but far less than normal on Tuesday.
Executive Director of CDEMA, Ronald Jackson told Loop News this morning the agency was poised to send in a relief team as soon as clearance was given for air and sea transport.
Hurricane Maria made landfall in Dominica around 9 p.m. last night and the eye of the storm passed right over the island.