Saturday 24 October, 2020

Deyalsingh: No testing backlog

Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh said there is no backlog of COVID-19 testing, although there are some cases which have not yet been reported.

Speaking at today’s media briefing on COVID-19, Deyalsingh said that the backlog of tests to be done was cleared up over the weekend:

‘There is no current backlog for testing. What we were clearing out up to Friday was that backlog. TPHL’s (Trinidad Public Health Laboratory) backlog was cleared up , I think early last week and the backlog we had to clear, which we reported on Friday and Saturday to some extent was that backlog of testing at NCRHA.

‘On Saturday I was able to report that there were 630 samples in the system to be tested on Saturday, which represented the current number. I did say this morning again that we do have some cases to report, so there is still some reporting to be done as opposed to testing.’

As of Monday morning there were 65 deaths and 2,063 known active cases of the virus.

The Ministry said in its Monday morning update that 29 more people tested positive for the virus.

The Ministry said it will continue to provide updates via official channels.

Anyone who has developed symptoms of COVID-19, should call the hotline 877-WELL or 800-WELL (9355) for further guidance.

Anyone who is severely ill, should call the 811 (emergency hotline) or call ahead to the Accident and Emergency Department of the nearest hospital for help and go in immediately.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: