Sunday 29 November, 2020

Dominica: Schools closed to slow spread of the coronavirus

Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit

Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit

“Hope for the best while preparing for the worst.”

A sombre message from Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit, after Dominica recorded its first confirmed case of the coronavirus on Sunday.

In an address to the nation, PM Skerrit said his government has adopted a four-stage approach to manage the COVID-19 pandemic, and now that Dominica has recorded its first case, they have moved from level one to two.

Related Article

Because of this, he said classes at all schools across the nation have been suspended until further notice.

The Prime Minister said more stringent screening methods will be implemented at all ports of entry.

 “We shall be intensifying screening at our borders and I anticipate that in a day or two we shall be announcing new measures and regulations with respect to the opening of our ports of entry,” he said.

PM Skerrit urged citizens with underlying medical conditions and those over the age of 70 to stay home and minimise contact with the general public.

“I’m asking them and others to follow all the warnings that the doctors have shared with us. For example, wash your hands properly or use hand sanitiser and do not place tour hands on your face. If you must sneeze or cough, sneeze into a tissue and immediately dispose of the tissue in a covered bin and wash your hands; cough into your elbow to avoid harming anyone,” he said.

The government has also appointed a standing committee responsible for addressing concerns about the potential threats the coronavirus could pose to the nation’s food security.

The Prime Minister said the committee will be chaired by Director of Trade, Mathan Walter.

“We have been in touch with the Ministry of Agriculture to see how much food we have in the soil in Dominica, what is the projection for the next six months and all of this is contingency plans the government has put in place,” he said.

PM Skerrit said so far there has been no disruption in the transportation chain in terms of containers and boats delivering supplies to the island.

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: