EBC: 339 candidates contesting Local Government Elections
339 candidates will be vying for seats in the upcoming Local Government Elections, according to the Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC).
The EBC said in a release issued November 14, 2019 that 339 candidates will be vying for seats in 139 electoral districts at the December 2, 2019 Local Government Elections.
The EBC said the the People’s National Movement (PNM) and the United National Congress (UNC) are the only two political parties which have put forward a full slate of candidates.
In addition to the PNM and the UNC, the Congress of the People (COP), the Movement for Social Justice (MSJ), Movement for National Development (MND), the Port of Spain Peoples Movement (PPM) and the National Transformation Party (NTP) have advanced candidates in some of the electoral districts.
The PPM’s candidates are contesting the twelve electoral districts in the City of Port-of-Spain. The lone candidate for NTP is contesting the electoral district of Calvary, in the Borough of Arima.
There are eight Independent Candidates in the 2019 Local Government Election race. These candidates are presenting themselves in the respective electoral districts:
- St. Ann’s River Central - City of Port-of-Spain
- Felicity/Endeavour – Borough of Chaguanas
- Sangre Grande South – Regional Corporation of Sangre Grande
- Valencia West – Regional Corporation of Sangre Grande
- Erin – Regional Corporation of Siparia
- Palo Seco – Regional Corporation of Siparia
- Blanchisseuse/Santa Rosa – Regional Corporation of Tunapuna/Piarco
- Maracas/Santa Margarita – Regional Corporation of Tunapuna/Piarco
Nominations took place Monday, November 11, 2019 and the EBC's Chief Election Officer, Fern Narcis-Scope said it was a smooth and event-free process.
The Ministry of Education said all schools will be closed on December 2, 2019 to facilitate the Local Government Election which takes place on December 2, 2019.