Wednesday 23 September, 2020

Education Ministry building sanitised, worker quarantined

Loop News has been informed that the Education Ministry's head office at Port of Spain is being sanitised and one staff member quarantined after being identified as a secondary contact of a positive COVID-19 case. 

A reliable source told Loop News that the Ministry continues to function as normal however, as many employees have already been working remotely, and a policy of no face-to-face interactions with the public was already in place. 

The source said that Ministry was advised by the Health Ministry to sanitise the building at St Vincent Street, Port of Spain, which was being done on Wednesday. 

The Ministry said in a social media post Wednesday that the Ministry of Education was closed due to maintenance on its HVAC system.

On Tuesday the Ministry said there had been some issues with their air conditioning system.

The news comes after three more positive cases were identified on Wednesday morning - all three cases were pending epidemiological investigation. 

The country's active cases stand at 51, with the total number of known cases at 197.

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley confirmed at a media briefing on Wednesday that four SEA students contracted the virus through contact with each other - all SEA classes have since been discontinued, although the SEA exam will still take place. 

The public is urged to contact the hotlines on 877-WELL (9355) for Trinidad and 800-HEAL (4325) for Tobago if any flu symptoms are experienced. 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: