Thursday 26 November, 2020

Elderly man homeless after La Brea fire

A fire in La Brea has left a 64-year-old man homeless.

Toola Odai, of Sobo Village Extension, told police that around 6pm on Saturday, he left his home to purchase snacks at a nearby parlour.

Upon returning home a few minutes later, he saw his house -  a wooden structure – on fire.

He raised an alarm and neighbours notified the fire services, while forming a bucket brigade to contain the blaze.

While the fire did not spread from the structure, it destroyed the building which contained all that Odai owned.

Police were told that before he left his home, Odai had left on a kerosene lamp, as he had no electricity connections to the structure.

This is believed to be the start of the fire.

Anyone willing to assist Odai is asked to contact 722-4274.

More on this as it becomes available. 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: