Monday 16 September, 2019

First murder recorded for 2019

Officers of the Port-of-Spain Division and the Homicide Bureau rushed to the scene on New Year's Day after the first murder was recorded for 2019.

The deceased was identified as Daniel Mahabir, 55.

Initial reports stated that around 10.30 am on January 1, 2019, Mahabir’s body was found by Nazim Taylor as he was going through the junkyard along Concession Drive, Sea Lots.

There was a gaping wound to Mahabir’s head - it is believed that he was killed in a fight.

Contrary to some media reports, relatives said Mahabir was not homeless but hailed from Spring Village. He had been working at a scrap yard in Sea Lots and had been staying there with the owners. 

Relatives said Mahabir was protecting the scrap yard from thieves when he was attacked and killed. 

His family is calling for justice for his murder. 

Investigations are continuing. 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: