Friday 21 September, 2018

Five held after Venezuelan woman kidnapped, allegedly raped

Five suspects - three of them nationals of the Dominican Republic - have been held after a Venezuelan woman was kidnapped and allegedly raped in Central Trinidad.

According to a report from the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service, swift investigative work by officers of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit (AKU), resulted in five suspects being arrested and the 23-year-old Venezuelan woman being rescued. 

Police said the woman was reported as kidnapped on July 29 and a friend of the victim made a report on August 1 regarding the kidnapping after demands were made for "information on the whereabouts of two individuals over money, in exchange for her safe return".

Investigations were spearheaded by Snr. Supt. (Ag.) Ajith Persad and Insp. Nicholas Thomas, which resulted in the victim, who resides in the Chaguanas district, being found in a house located along Quarry Road, Morne Diablo, around 1:00 am on August 2.

Of the five suspects, two are brothers, aged 33 and 30, are fishermen of Quarry Road, Morne Diablo. They were held by officers in the house with the victim. 

Three other suspects, a 32-year-old woman, a 26-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man, all nationals of the Dominican Republic residing in the Chaguanas district, were also held in separate exercises conducted by the AKU officers in relation to the kidnapping.

The victim was taken to hospital for treatment as she said she had been sexually assaulted by the two suspects who were guarding her.

Investigations are continuing.

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:

Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop

Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store:  http://bit.ly/GetiLoop