Tuesday 25 September, 2018

Gov’t takes decision to bring Galleons Passage to T&T immediately

Government has taken a decision to bring the M.V. Galleons Passage to Trinidad and Tobago from Cuba immediately, after the seller informed that it is having some difficulty transporting some of the materials and equipment needed for retrofitting works to Cuba.

Acting Prime Minister Colm Imbert provided the update in the Parliament today.

He was responding to a question as to whether the retrofitting works have been completed.

“We had been informed recently that some of the materials and equipment needed that the seller requires for in order to complete the enhancement works that were agreed to in the contract for sale, some of these materials and equipment the seller is having difficulty transporting them from Australia to Cuba. Cuba is still an embargo country for many countries,” the Acting Prime Minister said in response.

He said government has therefore taken a decision to bring the vessel to T&T immediately.

“Although fabrication of one of the canopies has begun, they were having difficulty in getting an airline or a shipping company to transport some of the remaining equipment and materials for the canopies into Cuba. So the government has taken a decision to bring the vessel to Trinidad immediately. The work will be done in Trinidad.”

He said the boat will be put into service very soon.

Imbert said the enhancement works will be done on a phase basis.

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:

Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop

Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store:  http://bit.ly/GetiLoop