Hospitals on high alert as fires rage in Point Fortin
Created : 18 April 2019
All health facilities in the St. Patrick County are on high alert following an increase in smoke levels due to bush fires in Mahaica, Point Fortin.
In an advisory from the South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA), the public was advised that anyone requiring medical attention will be attended to, while visits would be made to bed-ridden patients within the area.
The public was advised of the following measures to protect their health:
1. Limit time outdoors
2. Avoid strenuous activity where possible
3. Keep windows closed and use Air Conditions on recirculate mode where possible
4. Keep hydrated and get enough sleep
5. Persons with heart or lung conditions should be especially careful
6. Seek healthcare immediately if you develop symptoms of wheezing, coughing or chest pain
For further information contact your nearest health facility or Customer Service Representatives at the toll-free 87-SWRHA hotline.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: