Kamla to UNC candidates: Run clean campaign
Pictured: UNC political leader surrounded by supporters during a recent motorcade in Siparia. Photo via Facebook, Kamla Persad-Bissessar
Political Leader of the United National Congress (UNC) Kamla Persad-Bissessar says she has noted the recent attacks on platforms of some political parties, and has called on UNC candidates to be responsible and respectful as they campaign.
In a statement on Wednesday, she said: "As we get into the middle of this election campaign and the pressure starts mounting, I want to urge all of our UNC candidates to remain respectful, considerate, and honourable at all times."
She added: "I especially encourage our new candidates to not taint yourselves in negativity and focus on the issues that matter most to people."
The UNC leader also issued the
following guidelines which are to be followed by candidates during the election campaign:
• Publicly condemn violence and or intimidation against yourselves or anyone within your campaign.
• Do not engage in violence or intimidation yourselves, or in language or action which might lead to violence or intimidation.
• Do not publish or repeat false, defamatory allegations about political opponents, run a clean campaign.
• Cooperate with other political parties to avoid scheduling political activities at the same time and places.
• Do not impede access to eligible voters by political opponents.
• Do not destroy, disfigure, or remove other political parties' campaign materials.
• Do not bribe eligible voters in respect of the election campaign or voting.
• Do not abuse positions of power, influence, or privilege in respect of the election campaign or voting.
• Do not discriminate or attack persons on the basis of race, sex, ethnicity, class, gender, or religion in connection with the election.
• Facilitate the equal participation and access of all persons to political activities and to vote.
• Follow at all times the relevant health guidelines pertaining to COVID-19.
• Cooperate with the electoral authorities in investigating issues and allegations in connection with the elections.
• Be respectful of private property when erecting and fastening campaign paraphernalia
• Always respect and follow the law when campaigning and do not condone any illegal activities within your campaign.
• Be mindful of traffic restrictions when conducting your relevant motorcades and be considerate of others on the road during peak traffic hours.