List of emergency shelters in T&T
The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM) has issued a list of shelters throughout Trinidad, while the Tobago Emergency Management Centre (TEMA) has listed emergency shelters for Tobago.
The OPDM is advising citizens to prepare a disaster kit which includes the following:
- Food: Maintain enough nonperishable food for each person for at least 72 hours.
- Water: Store enough so each person has a gallon a day for 72 hours, preferably for one week. Store in airtight containers and replace it every six months. Store disinfectants such as iodine tablets or chlorine bleach, eight drops per gallon, to purify water if necessary.
- First aid kit: Make sure it is well stocked, especially with bandages and disinfectants.
- Fire extinguisher: Your fire extinguisher should be suitable for all types of fires. Teach all family members how to use it.
- Flashlights with extra batteries: Keep flashlights beside your bed and in several other locations. Do not use matches or candles until you are certain there are no gas leaks.
- Radios: Store radio with battery backup, portable radio or portable television with extra batteries: Telephones may be out of order or limited to emergency use. A radio, portable radio or portable television may be your best source of information.
- Miscellaneous items: Extra blankets, clothing, shoes and money. Wear sturdy shoes just in case you need to walk through rubble and debris.
- Alternative cooking sources: Store a barbeque or camping stove for outdoor camping.
Caution: Ensure there are no gas leaks before you use any kind of fire as a cooking source and never use charcoal indoors. Gasoline-powered appliances should be filled away from ignition sources.
- Special items: Have at least 72 hours of medications and food for infants and those with special needs. Don't forget diapers.
- Tools: Have an adjustable or pipe wrench for turning off gas and water, and a shovel or broom for cleaning up.
- Pets: Assemble an animal emergency supply kit and develop a pet care buddy system with friends or relatives to make sure someone is available to care for or evacuate your pets if you are unable to do so. Be sure each of your pets has a tag with your name and phone number. Whether you decide to stay put in an emergency or evacuate to a safer location, you will need to plan for your pets.
Pay attention to directions from emergency managers, police and others and obey instructions in the event of an evacuation.
The list of emergency shelters in Trinidad is as follows:
TOBAGO EMERGENCY SHELTERS
Canaan/Bon Accord Community Centre
Patricia Malcom - 639-8716
Canaan Church of the Nazarene
Carnbee/Mt. Pleasant Community Centre
Castara Community Centre
Lyris Walker - 660-7210
Lenora Jack - 733-4005
Castara Government School
Charlotteville Community Centre
660-5887 / 787-3738
Delaford AC School
Kenneth Stirling - 660-5875
Delaford Community Centre
Walton George - 660-4007/7581558
Delaford R.C School
Nora Trim - 660-5674
Des Vignes Road Government
Dwight Yorke Stadium
Ebenezer Methodist School
Anthony Mc Dowell - 660-4017/660-5373
Glamorgan Village Council
Bertram Francois - 660-5411
Glen Road - 639-6929/795-6604
Golden Lane Community Council
Alexander Balfour - 660-0775/731-5978 /660-0297/678-4983
Golden Lane Village Council
Andrea Trim- 735-4467
Goodwood Community Centre Martin or Joseph/
Sydney Des Vignes - 660-5303/660-5641 /790-6596/775-2275
Hope Anglican Church
Hope Anglican School
Hope Community Centre
John Roberts Memorial School Of S.D.A
Bertram Francois - 660-5410 /660-5411
Kendall Farm School
Richard Morton - 660-4395
Lambeau AC Church
Lambeau Community Centre
Everlyn Blake - 639-1740
Lanse Fourmi Community Centre
Ethlyn Chance - 660-0525/639-1065/639-6727
Les Coteaux Community Centre
Barrington Nedd (Keslie Andrews)
Elsa Donaldson - 660-0424
Les Coteaux Methodist Church
Linda Phillips - 639-2024
Mason Hall Community Centre
Cynthia James/Hayden Griffith
Mason Hall Government School
Mason Hall Methodist Church
Mason Hall Secondary School
Montgomery Government School
Moriah Community Centre
Moriah Government School
Moriah Morivian Church
Mt. Grace / Harmony Hall
Carlos Peterkin - 639-6660
Mt. St. George Community Centre
Mt. St. George Methodist School
Mt. St. George Youth Camp
Mt. Pleasant Anglican School
Mt. Pleasant Anglican Church
Parlatuvier Anglican School
Nicole Phillips (Carlton Campbell)
Patience Hill Community Centre
Patience Hill Government School
Pembroke AC School
Pembroke Community Center
Plymouth Anglican School
Plymouth School For The Deaf
Plymouth / Bethesda Community Centre
Roxborough AC School
Roxborough Composite School
Roxborough Pentecostal Church
Scarborough Ac Church
Scarborough Pentecostal Church
Scarborough S.D.A Complex
Scarborough Secondary School
Signal Hill Community Centre
Signal Hill Government School
Signal Hill Secondary Comprehensive School
Speyside Anglican Church
Speyside Anglican School
Speyside Community Centre
Table Piece Government School
Whim Anglican School
Whim Police Youth Club
ODPM Emergency: 511
Polie Rapid Response: 999
Police Service: 990
Tobago Emergency Relief: 211
Global Medical Response of Trinidad and Tobago: 811
For more information go to www.odpmtt.gov.tt and for TEMA go to www.tema365.com