- 1 large head broccoli , broken into small florets
- 400-450g / 14-15 oz Chinese noodles
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml water
- 1 tbsp cornflour / cornstarch
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1/8 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Sesame seeds
- Chopped chives
1. Sauce: Place water and cornflour in a bowl, mix. Then add remaining ingredients and mix.
2. Beef: Place in a bowl and add 1 1/2 tbsp Sauce. Mix.
3. Broccoli & Noodles: Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add broccoli, cook for 1 minute. Add noodles then after 15 seconds, use a wooden spoon to separate the noodles then immediately drain (don't have the noodles in the water for more than 1 minute).
4. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
5. Add garlic, quickly stir. Add onion and cook for 1 minute until it's tinged with brown.
6. Add beef and cook until it changes from red to brown.
7. Add noodles, broccoli and sauce. Toss together for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes or until Sauce thickens and coats the noodles. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and shallots, if using, and serve.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: