- 1 large head broccoli , broken into small florets
- 400-450g / 14-15 oz Chinese noodles
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml water
- 1 tbsp cornflour / cornstarch
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1/8 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Sesame seeds
- Chopped chives
1. Sauce: Place water and cornflour in a bowl, mix. Then add remaining ingredients and mix.
2. Beef: Place in a bowl and add 1 1/2 tbsp Sauce. Mix.
3. Broccoli & Noodles: Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add broccoli, cook for 1 minute. Add noodles then after 15 seconds, use a wooden spoon to separate the noodles then immediately drain (don't have the noodles in the water for more than 1 minute).
4. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
5. Add garlic, quickly stir. Add onion and cook for 1 minute until it's tinged with brown.
6. Add beef and cook until it changes from red to brown.
7. Add noodles, broccoli and sauce. Toss together for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes or until Sauce thickens and coats the noodles. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and shallots, if using, and serve.