Loop Sunday Lunch: Beef burgers with double-fried chips
Created : 21 June 2020
Image via Taste AU.
What's cooking for dad?
Loop has you covered.
Check out this recipe from Taste AU that dad is sure to love!
Prep time: 2 h 40 min
Cook time: 40 min
1kg potatoes, peeled, cut into thick chips
600g fatty beef mince
1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
1 egg yolk
Peanut oil, to deep-fry
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
100g cheddar, sliced
4 brioche rolls, halved, toasted
Lettuce leaves, to serve
2 cooked beetroot bulbs, sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
SPICY TARTARE SAUCE
190g (3/4 cup) good-quality whole egg mayonnaise
40g (1/4 cup) cornichons, rinsed, chopped
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed, chopped
3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Sriracha Hot Chilli Sauce
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Grease a baking tray with oil. Cook potato in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 12 minutes or until tender and starting to break up. Drain. Cool slightly. Place on tray. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to dry out.
2. Meanwhile, combine the beef, marjoram and yolk in a bowl. Season well. use hands to combine. Shape into 4 patties. Cover. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to rest.
3. For the sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover. Place in the fridge to allow flavours to develop.
4. Pour enough peanut oil to come one-third of the way up the side of a saucepan. Heat to 160C. Cook chips, in 3 batches, for 2-3 minutes each batch or until starting to brown. Drain on paper towel.
4. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Cook beef patties for 2 minutes each side for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a baking tray.
5. Preheat grill to high. Place the cheese on the beef patties. Grill for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest.
6. Reheat peanut oil to 170C. Cook chips again, in 3 batches, for 3-4 minutes each batch or until golden. Drain on paper towel and season well with salt.
7. Top roll bases with lettuce, patties, spicy sauce, beetroot and onion. Top with roll tops. Serve with the chips and any remaining sauce on the side.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: