For today's Sunday Lunch we feature a hearty beef soup recipe from Spruce Eats.
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 1 hr
Yields 5 servings
2 teaspoons oil
3/4 cup onions (diced)
6 sprigs thyme (divided)
2 pounds stew beef (bone-in, cut up)
1/2 cup yellow split peas
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1 pound white sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks)
1 pound plantains (half-ripe; peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds)
6 to 8 okra (tops and tips removed)
2 carrots (diced)
1/4 cup green onions (sliced; white and green parts)
1 recipe dumplings
1. We make this soup in a pressure cooker but if you plan to use a regular pot, you will need to add more water to the soup and increase the cooking time.
2. Heat the oil in the pressure cooker or pot.
3. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add 3 sprigs of thyme and sauté for 1 minute.
5. Add beef and sauté along with the onions and thyme for 3 minutes. Add split peas along with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add 5 cups of water, stir, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Close the pressure cooker and let pressure for 20 to 22 minutes. Timing begins from the first whistle. If you are using a pot, and an extra cup of water, bring to a boil, cover and then let simmer for 30 to 35 minutes.
7. Open the pressure cooker and add sweet potatoes, plantains, carrots and remaining thyme and enough water to cook the ingredients and make soup. Let cook on high heat for 12 to 15 minutes. Do not lock pressure cooker; just let the cover rest on top of the pot.
8. Add raw dumpling dough along with okra to pot; cover and let cook for 6 - 8 minutes or until the dumpling is cooked through.
9.Taste soup for seasoning (salt and pepper) and adjust accordingly. Stir in green onions and serve.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: