This quick recipe from The Kitchen Sanctuary is a fail-safe take on a family favourite, ready in about 30 minutes.
Crispy Chicken Tenders with Garlic Chilli Dip
4 chicken breasts, sliced into long, thick strips
240ml (1 cup) buttermilk
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp white pepper
¼ tsp garlic salt
180g (1½ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp garlic salt
½ tsp celery salt
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp chilli flakes
3 tbsp buttermilk
2 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp chopped coriander
Juice of half a lime
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 small garlic clove peeled and crushed
1 tsp sriracha
1. Place the chicken in a bowl. Add the buttermilk, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Mix together, cover and place in the fridge to marinade for at least 1 hour (up to over night)
2. Preheat the oven to a low heat (to keep cooked chicken warm). Heat a large pan of vegetable oil (or preheat your deep fat fryer) until hot (you can test by dropping a small cube of bread in there, if it rises immediately to the top and starts to bubble rapidly, it’s hot enough). You’ll need at least 1 litre (4 cups) of oil.
3. Mix together the crispy coating ingredients in a small bowl. Take the chicken out of the fridge. Lift a piece from the buttermilk and allow the excess to drip off. Dredge the chicken in the crispy coating mixture – ensuring it’s fully covered. Place on a tray and repeat until all of the chicken is coated.
4. Once the oil is hot enough, add in 5 or 6 of the chicken tenders. You can add more or less depending on the size of your pan, just be sure not to overcrowd the chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and cooked in the middle. You can check this by cutting open a piece of chicken, if it’s no longer pink in the middle, it’s cooked.
5. Place on a tray in the oven to keep warm whilst you cook the rest of the chicken.
6. Mix together the dip ingredients and serve with the crispy chicken.