Try this simple but luxurious French Onion Chicken courtesy Eat Well 101, guaranteed to have the family asking for seconds:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Red crushed chili pepper flakes, optional
Pinch of salt and fresh cracked pepper
1 cup shredded cheese (for a luxury option add mozzarella or Gruyere)
2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 large onions, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth
Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly grease a 9×12-inch baking dish and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-8 minutes until soft.
3. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized – about 15 minutes. Pour in 1/4 cup of broth to deglaze if your pan gets too dry, and keep stirring until onions are browned.
4. Stir in fresh minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
5. Season chicken breasts with oregano, crushed chili pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Go easy on the salt because French onion and cheese are already salted. Arrange chicken breasts in the baking dish.
6. Divide caramelized onions on top of each chicken breast. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven, until fully cooked and cheese is bubbly. Then broil for 2 minutes to crisp up the cheese. Garnish the French onion chicken casserole with fresh chopped parsley and serve immediately with steamed vegetables or cauliflower rice. Enjoy!
You can prepare the caramelized onion ahead of time, and just assemble the casserole at the last minute before baking.
You can flavour up the french onion with a dash of white wine, sherry or balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan.
The cooking time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
Go easy on the salt because French onion and cheese are already salty.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: