Loop Sunday Lunch: One Pot Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole
Created : 4 November 2018
Image via RecipeTin Eats.
For today's Sunday Lunch, we feature a One Pot Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole recipe from RecipeTin Eats.
It's made in one pot - so easy clean up!
Ready in: 40 mins
1 tbsp olive oil
13 oz/400 g chicken breast, about 1/3"/1cm thick, sliced horizontally into thin steaks
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red bell pepper/capsicum, diced
24 oz/680 g tomato passata or crushed canned tomatoes* (Note 2)
3 cups chicken broth or water (750ml)
1 1/2 cups frozen corn (250g)
½ tsp cayenne pepper* (spicy - adjust to taste)
1 tbsp dried oregano*
2 tsp cumin*
1 ½ tsp coriander*
2 tsp onion powder*
1 tbsp brown sugar*
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups / 270g white rice (short, medium or long grain, (Note 4)
1 - 1 1/2 cups grated cheese (about 125 - 150 g)
Chopped cilantro/coriander (optional, to serve)
1. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in large skillet.
2. Add chicken and cook each side for 2 minutes or until cooked, then remove onto a plate.
3. Add extra oil if the skillet is looking dry. Add onion and garlic, cook for 1 1/2 minutes until starting to soften.
4. Add bell peppers and cook for a further 2 minutes.
5. Add remaining ingredients except rice and cheese. Bring to simmer, then add rice.
6. Stir, cover with a lid and turn down heat to medium low. Cover and cook until rice is cooked but not mushy and most of the liquid is absorbed - about 15 to 18 minutes. (Note 3). Do not stir while it cooks.
7. Meanwhile, shred or roughly chop chicken.
8. When rice is cooked, quickly stir chicken through, sprinkle with cheese then pop under broil / grill until golden and bubbly.
9. Serve, garnished with fresh cilantro/coriander if desired.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: