Machel's Toronto concert cancelled after venue permits pulled
Photo: Machel Montano/Instagram
Soca star Machel Montano apologised to fans after the highly anticipated Carnival Kingdom concert in Toronto was cancelled due to venue permits being revoked just hours before the show on Saturday night.
In a statement issued via social media over the weekend, Montano said the reasons for the permits being revoked are not yet known.
"Last night came as a big unfortunate surprise. As I was getting dressed to head to the venue we got a call from the promoter that the show had been cancelled because the venue permit had been revoked. I guess the word got out to the authorities that I was going to flatten the place!" He joked.
Montano said however that he was truly saddened by the development as the show, one of the main events for Toronto's annual Caribana festival, was completely sold out.
"I’m truly saddened that I was not able to perform for the fans - I never miss a show and this one was not in my, our my team’s, control. The show had sold out days in advance, a testament to the strength and excitement of the Soca and Caribbean community in Toronto. I love performing here and we were going to have a time together last night."
"I respect the work of the promoters @sosfestto; I have worked with them for years and know the level of dedication and love they have for our culture - and to their integrity, they are refunding everyone’s monies for this slip up."
(Photo courtesy Machel Montano/Instagram)
"And, Toronto, don’t worry, this just means that I will have to come back, and with my full band and dancers to deliver the Soca Kingdom experience in full. I will not leave Toronto without a show for 2018," he said.
Patrons were told that they would receive their refunds within 72 hours.
"Statement On Behalf Of Carnival Kingdom - We will be issuing refunds in 72 hours. On behalf of the entire event staff and organizers, we wish to give some explanation on tonight's cancellation. The event had all of its permits in place and planning was priority throughout the process of presenting such an event."
"The permits were pulled by the city just 2 hours before doors opening. For reasons we don't know at this time fully. Every event executed has been complete with smooth process and professionalism."
"We will be giving updates on how and when people will be refunded. We ask all to be patient and trust in our integrity and history," the company said.
Also due to perform at the concert were Bunji Garlin and Fay Ann Lyons, Destra, Rupee, Shal Marshall, Voice, Patrice Roberts, Ravi B and Karma with Nisha B, Gregory and Nishard M, and Logun.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store: http://bit.ly/GetiLoop