Maracas Bay rated among best beaches in the Caribbean
While locals gripe about the state of Maracas Bay while development works are being done, foreigners are rating it among the best beaches in the Caribbean.
In FlightNetwork's recently released World's Top Beaches list, Maracas Bay is rated at number 20 among the Top 50 beaches in the Caribbean and Latin America.
To create Central America and the Caribbean’s Top 50 Beaches, FlightNetwork collected insight from over 1200 journalists, editors, bloggers, and agencies, who know all things travel.
"With its piercing blue water and fluorescent green vegetation, Maracas Bay brings life to the term “seventh-heaven.” The bay is located on the northern side of Trinidad Island. It is nestled in a rainforest one hour’s drive away from the capital city of Port-of-Spain. The crescent-shaped beach shelters the water from swelling tides so the water is placid, perfect for snorkelling and swimming. Grab a drink and a bite to eat at one of the small, local vendors and sink into a nap on the gorgeous shore. With consistent temperatures year-round, Maracas Bay is the perfect escape for anyone seeking to be awestruck by nature’s beauty in an exclusive, stunning location," the description said.
Maracas Bay was rated 10 out of 10 for Sheer Natural Beauty, nine out of 10 for Remoteness and 9.5 out of 10 for Sand and Water quality.
No Tobago beaches made the list.
Recently, Stephen Broadbridge, Vice President of the Trinidad and Tobago Incoming Tour Operators Association and director of local conservation group Papa Bois Conservation, shared photos of the Maracas Bay showing the condition of the beachfront.
“The design is just unbelievably shabby, clumsy and cheap, it looks terrible. None of the other Caribbean islands would implement such an unattractive design,” he said of the development works that have been ongoing since 2016.
Beachgoers have also complained about the number of beach chair vendors operating on the beach.
Below is the list of Caribbean beaches considered among the top 50 in the region according to their rank.
1) Grace Beach, Turks and Caicos
2) Seven Mile Beach, Jamaica
3) Varadero Beach, Cuba
4) Pink Sands Beach, Bahamas
5) Bavaro Beach, Dominican Republic
6) Malmok Beach, Aruba
7) Half Moon Cay, Little San Salvador Island, The Bahamas
9) Flamenco beach, Puerto Rico
10) Grand Anse Beach, Grenada
11) Bathsheba Beach, Barbados
12) Bahia de las Aguilas, Dominican Republic
13) Baths of Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands
14) Shoal Bay Beach, Anguilla
15) Trunk Bay, St John, USVI
16) Rincon Beach, Puerto Rico
19) Dickenson Bay, Antigua
20) Maracas Beach, Trinidad
21) Maho Bay, St Joh, USVI
22) Boston Bay Beach, Jamaica
23) Hawksnest Beach, USVI
24) Paraiso Beach, Cuba
25) Cockleshell Bay, St Kitts
26) Dean’s Blue Hole, Bahamas
27) Cane Bay, St Croix, USVI
28) Harrismith Beach Barbados
29) James Bond Beach, Jamaica
30) Tobacco Caye, Belize
32) Petit Tabac, st Vincent and the Grenadines
34) Batibou Beach, Dominica
36) Winnifred Beach, Jamaica
39) Playa Ancon, Trinidad, Cuba
40) Cayman Kai, Cayman Islands
41) Jalousie Bay, St Lucia
42) Mopion Island, St Vincent And the Grenadines
44) Governors Beach, Turks and Caicos Island
45) Tropic of Cancer Beach, Exuma, Bahamas
46) Gold Rock Beach, Bahamas
48) Crane Beach, Barbados
50) Jacmel Beach, Haiti
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store: http://bit.ly/GetiLoop