Saturday 21 September, 2019

McDonald's employees call for armed security: 'We could be next'

Employees at McDonald’s Cipriani Boulevard location remain fearful for their lives following the murder of branch manager Ashmeed Mohammed two Sundays ago.

Armed gunmen stormed the restaurant and shot at Mohammed when he answered a knock at the door after the restaurant had closed up.

Related Article

Investigators believe Mohammed’s killing was a hit.

Police have been reviewing CCTV footage, but are yet to detain a suspect in connection with the murder.

The restaurant reopened over the weekend, however, operated with skeletal staff as a number of employees did not turn up to work.

Speaking with LoopTT under the condition of anonymity, one employee who expressed the sentiments shared by the rest of the staff said while counselling had been provided to the employees who witnessed the tragic killing, workers are still shaken by the brutal murder of their colleague.

She said the workers have since requested that armed security guards be posted at the restaurant in the event that Mohammed’s killers return, and to prevent the occurrence of a similar incident.

The woman also agreed with police that Mohammed had been targeted.  

“All we want is one security guard who is armed but we were told that it is a family restaurant and there cannot be any guns there. What happened with Ashmeed was not a robbery. Nothing was taken. We believe now that we are being marked.”

She further alleged that there has been a level of victimisation taking place at McDonald’s following the murder, as some staff members have allegedly been threatened with possible disciplinary action because they did not turn out to work when the restaurant reopened on Saturday.

“It was a disaster. People didn’t show up for work and now they want penalise and punish us. Some [workers] are unionised but others are not.”

She added that they just want to feel safe especially given the late hours they work.

McDonald's TT has expressed its concern for the workers' safety and well-being in light of the tragedy, stating that it is a 'top priority' for them. 

Top officials with the company have been in contact with Mohammed's family following the incident.

McDonald's TT is also working with the authorities to ensure that Mohammed's killers are brought to justice. 

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:

Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop

Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store:  http://bit.ly/GetiLoop

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: