Tuesday 2 June, 2020

Ministry of Health: COVID-19 hotline launched; use only as last resort

The Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 hotline is now up and running.

However, Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh is imploring the public to reserve this as an absolute last resort and to only contact the hotline with COVID-19 related questions.

Deyalsingh said: “We have a series of other measures that we have put out - full page ads that give you information. We have social media, we have our website. Please go to these alternate modes of communication before going to the COVID-19 hotline. Because all hotlines around the world are collapsing, we don’t want that to happen here.”

The number for the hotline is 877-WELL (9355).

Deyalsingh had said earlier this week that ten doctors had been hired to man the hotline.

Those member of the public with a medical emergency unrelated to COVID-19 are asked to call 811 where they will be directed to a hospital.

He also revealed on Friday that the Ministry would have a mobile application, which was donated to them free of charge, which would enable members of the public to evaluate whether their symptoms were that of COVID-19. The app is expected to be launched soon, according to the developer, who Loop spoke to this morning.

Citizens are urged to visit the following Ministry of Health touch points before contacting the hotline.

Ministry of Health Facebook.

Ministry of Health Twitter.  

Ministry of Health website.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: