MoE seeks to clarify its position on private Secondary Schools
The Ministry of Education (MoE) wants to clarify its position on the placement of students into private secondary schools based on the 2018 Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA).
The statement comes following a media release sent by the Private Secondary Schools Association earlier this week.
In a release issued on Wednesday, the Ministry says it hopes to address two individual concerns that have been expressed namely, student’s placement and the revision of the cost associated with the purchasing of spaces.
The MoE said firstly, consultations with private secondary schools were held at the beginning of this year’s SEA placement exercise to verify the school’s interest in taking on new form one students from September. As such, students were only placed into schools that responded in the affirmative and indicated the number of spaces available.
The Ministry reiterated that it has upheld its commitment to securing spaces for all students who successfully completed the SEA 2018 examination.
Meanwhile, as it pertains to the increase in costs associated with student spaces, Education Minister Anthony Garcia and officials from the Ministry met with principals of Private Secondary Schools on June 8 where discussions were held on the current amount paid for student places.
“As the Ministry continues to review the proposed increase in the cost of purchasing places at these private schools, a committee was formed to review the justification for the increase. A position has been proposed by the committee and a meeting is to be set to discuss the proposed figure with the private school principals. Once this meeting is held and an agreement reached, the information will be taken to cabinet for approval,” the Ministry said.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store: http://bit.ly/GetiLoop