Monday 16 September, 2019

MOWT: North Coast Road re-opened but proceed with caution

Photo courtesy the Ministry of Works and Transport.

Photo courtesy the Ministry of Works and Transport.

Drivers are advised that recent landslides along the North Coast Road have been cleared, however drivers should still exercise caution.

The Ministry of Works and Transport said on Wednesday afternoon that both lanes have been opened to vehicular traffic following clean-up works.

The update comes after numerous land slippages due to heavy rainfall last week and over the weekend. 

The Ministry said however that although the road is passable it is advising motorists to proceed with caution as there is still heavy equipment on site.

(Photo: Minister of Rural Development and Local Government, Kazim Hosein, was on site to assess the damage and works to be done earlier this week.)

The Ministry added that geotechnical engineer Dr Derek Gay is expected to visit the area this week and advise how best to permanently treat with the land-slippage.

(Video: Clean-up work was undertaken after additional landslides on Tuesday.)

 

The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM) added that a recent landslide at the Paria Branch Road, Sans Souci (opposite cemetery) was also cleared.

In another update, the ODPM said a landslip which was reported at LP 00149 along the Toco Main Road before the Balandra Fishing Depot also cleared with traffic being restored to both lanes.

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: