Nat Sec Ministry refutes daily paper's claims on migrant registration
Created : 22 June 2019
Minister of National Security Stuart Young
The Ministry of National Security has issued a statement seeking to correct two statements in an editorial published in a daily newspaper on Saturday.
The editorial, titled “Wrestling with migrant matters” reportedly stated that the Government registration of Venezuelans in Trinidad and Tobago excluded “persons under the age of 18”.
The Ministry said this is false and wholly untrue.
It said, “All Venezuelans who presented themselves at one of the three registration centres, including men, women, children and even babies, over the period of May 31 to June 14, 2019 were registered.”
The statement also addressed another claim made in the editorial, which stated “But the US has offered assistance to the Government in Port of Spain towards the cost of receiving and maintaining the Venezuelan migrants in our midst. USAID administrator Mark Green is reported (sic) offering some US$1.6 million for such purposes, following a meeting with Minister Young last month. The Trinidad and Tobago public is yet to hear whether the Government has accepted such an offer, and to what use it might be put.”
The Ministry denied that any such offer was made to Minister Young and said the Government has not accepted any financial assistance from USAID, the US government or any other international body in dealing with the Venezuelan migrants in Trinidad and Tobago.
This has been previously indicated by the Government.
The Ministry called the editorial an attempt to mislead the population and readership of the daily and said it was unfortunate and wholly uncalled for.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: