NATUC calls on TATT board to resign
The National Trade Union Centre (NATUC) is condemning what it has described as the blatant violation and total disregard for the fundamental rights of Radio Jaagriti, to be heard.
This in response to a police raid at the station on Thursday.
It also follows a press release by the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT) on comments made by SDMS leader Sat Maharaj about Tobagonians.
TATT is reported to have back down on the issue after it warned of action earlier this week.
NATUC said citizens must guard their democracy jealously.
“The issues becomes even more alarming and unpalatable when one learn of the fact that the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT) on the same day, April 18, 2019, and after the execution of a search warrant on Radio Jaagriti by officers of the Special Investigative Unit, communicated to the radio station that no further action will be taken against the station.
What a contradiction!!! Was the blunder by the TATT deliberate, mischievous and calculated to bullying the Radio Jaagriti into silence and//or taking sides as the regulator in this matter,” NATUC said in a statement.
NATUC is calling for government to revoke the appointment of the TATT board.
“We in NATUC views the shameful and undemocratic act of the TATT as being corrosive and potentially dangerous to our democratic right to freedom of speech NATUC therefore, calls on the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago to resign and /or call on the Government to revoke the appointment of the Board,” it stated.