Tuesday 20 November, 2018

No charges laid in father-and-son chopping incident

For the second time in a matter of months, two relatives who attacked one another with a cutlass, have refused to give statements to the police.

As a result, the hands of investigators are currently tied, and it is not expected that lawmen will pursue charges against any of the individuals.

On Sunday a 66-year-old man and his 17-year-old son got into an argument at their Lazzari Road, Poole Village, home.

It was said that the quarrel began over money which was outstanding.

The argument became physical, during which it was alleged the elder man secured a cutlass and hit the 17-year-old to the side of this head.

The younger boy was able to wrestle away the weapon from his father, however, he then proceeded to chop the 66-year-old repeatedly – to his back and left hand.

Other relatives at the home, on hearing and seeing the commotion, intervened and rushed both wounded parties to the Rio Claro District Hospital.

The 17-year-old was treated, and his injuries were not said to be life-threatening.

However, officials at the hospital notified the police and upon the young man’s discharge, he was taken into custody by Rio Claro police.

The 66-year-old man suffered more serious injuries and was taken to the San Fernando General Hospital, for treatment.

Since then he has also been discharged.

However, both men have refused to give statements in the incident, leading to the 17-year-old being released from custody.

PC Racha is continuing investigations.

In July, a separate incident took place in Longdenville in which a 54-year-old man and his 30-year-old son got into an altercation after a night of drinking.

Once again, a cutlass was used and both relatives sustained injuries.

However, after they sought medical treatment and were discharged, both men refused to press charges or give statements to the police, and as such, no one was arrested or charged.

More on this as it becomes available.

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:

Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop

Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store:  http://bit.ly/GetiLoop