ODPM issues list of needed items for Irma victims
The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management has issued an advisory of needed items for victims of Hurricane Irma.
In a statement issued Tuesday, the ODPM said it has been in communication with the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA), who has been co-ordinating the regional response and relief to participating states impacted by Hurricane Irma namely: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, the British Virgin Islands, Haiti, Turks and Caicos Islands.
The ODPM said while cash donations are considered to best practice at this stage of relief efforts, a preliminary needs list has been generated from damage assessments conducted and the following items are being requested:
- Water *
- 20 x 24 Tarpaulins
- Collapsible Water Containers (5 gallons)
- Bleach (1 Litre) *
- Mops with handles
- Push brooms with handles
- Disinfectant (1 Litre) *
- Mopping Liquid (1 Litre) *
- Mosquito Repellent
- Canned Food Items (Sardine, Tuna, Corn Beef, Soup)*
- Packaged dry goods (Cereal, Crackers)*
- Disposable diapers
- Cloth diapers with pins
- Baby powder
- Baby wipes
- Bottled baby food*
- Baby Aspirin
- Matches (by the carton)
- Buckets (5 gallons)
- Rubbing Alcohol (1 Litre)*
- Zip lock bags (boxes)
- Paper Towels (by the carton)
*These items are requested preferably by the case, but all donations are welcomed.
Additionally, the Trinidad and Tobago Postal Corporation (TTPOST) has volunteered to assist in relief efforts and has set up various collection points for items at their following Corporate Post Shop locations, as follows:
- Arima - 17 Prince Street
- Belmont - 101 Belmont Circular Road, Belmont
- Bon Accord - Milford Court, Bon Accord, Tobago
- Carenage - 546 Western Main Road, Carenage
- Chaguanas - 9 St. Yves Street, Chaguanas
- Couva - Cor. Bryce & La Croix Street, Couva
- La Romaine - 2 Lucky Street, La Romaine
- National Mail Centre - 240 - 250 Golden Grove Road, Piarco
- New Grant - 5 Seecharan Street, New Grant
- San Juan - 5 Eastern Main Road, San Juan
- Scarborough - Teal Building, Scarborough, Tobago
- Siparia - 1 Oropouche Road, Siparia
- St. Ann's - 29 St. Ann's Road, St. Ann's
- St. James - 61-63 Western Main Road, St. James
- St. Vincent Street - 22-24 St. Vincent Street Port of Spain
- Tragarete Road - 177 Tragarete Road, Port of Spain
- Tunapuna - 76-78 Eastern Main Road, Tunapuna
Citizens wishing to assist those affected by Hurricane Irma are welcome to drop off any amount of the specified items in labelled boxes, indicating the package is for Hurricane Irma Relief via the ODPM, the item and its quantity.
Please ensure that all items carry a minimum shelf life of six (6) months.
The ODPM said it continues to communicate with the CDEMA team and further calls for assistance for relief will be shared with the public on all media platforms.
For more information citizens can call ODPM’s Customer Call Centre - 511/ 911 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.