Tuesday 7 July, 2020

Officer rearrested after court appearance

Mere moments after two police constables appeared before a Port of Spain Magistrate charged with misbehaviour in public office, one of the men was re-arrested.

Brothers PC Jonathan Bart, 26, and PC Justin Bart, 24, appeared before Magistrate Cherril Anne Antoine in the Fifth Court on Thursday to answer the charges.

They were represented by attorneys Larry Williams and Chelsea John.

The charges were laid indictably and the two accused were not called upon to enter a plea.

The State was represented by police prosecutor Inspector Callister Charles.

After further submissions, the matter was adjourned to January 31.

However, as the two siblings left the courtroom, they were approached by an officer from the Professional Standards Bureau, who informed one of the brothers that they were being investigated on further charges and would need to be detained again.

This time, the allegations were one of assault.

After consultations with attorney Larry Williams, the brother went with officers from the Bureau and is aiding with inquiries.

The two siblings were charged on Wednesday following a series of investigations led by ACP Totaram Dookhie of the Professional Standards Bureau, assisted by Superintendent Anthony Remy, Inspector Sheridon Hill, Corporal Paul Mohammed and PC Ian Mitchell.

Jonathan Bart police said, was attached to the Western Division’s Criminal Investigations Unit, and has five years of service.

Justin Bart, police said was attached to the Western Division Task Force, and has four years of service.

They were both held on Monday, and instructions were subsequently given by the Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard to charge the two siblings.

According to reports, March 18, 2018, a watchman employed with the Port of Spain City Corporation was at Trust Mart Grocery, along the Western Main Road, St James, when he was confronted by two police officers who assaulted and abused him.

The victim informed the officers during his ordeal that he was going to report them.

When the officers left, the man made his way to a police station in the Port of Spain district where he intended to make the report.

However, upon entering, it was alleged that he was confronted by the same two officers once again.

The officers arrested the watchman and charged him with three offences, namely using obscene language to the annoyance of others; resisting arrest; and assaulting the police in the execution of their duty.

After securing bail, the victim made a report to the police and the matter was investigated.

This led to the arrests and the subsequent charge being laid against the two siblings.

Police also said that the charges against the victim will be discontinued.

More on this as it becomes available.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: