Wednesday 25 November, 2020

Police charge second suspect in police officer's shooting

The second suspect involved in the robbery and shooting of a superintendent of police has been charged.

He is expected to appear before an Arima Magistrate by the end of this week.

The suspect, a 28-year-old man from Barataria, was held over the weekend during a police operation conducted by officers of the Operation Strike Back team led by Cpl Jackman.

On Saturday night, the lawmen made their way to Oropune Gardens, Piarco, after receiving intelligence that the suspect was in the area.

Officers found the suspect, who attempted to evade the police by escaping on foot.

However, the lawmen gave chase, and he was held a short distance away.

The suspect was positively identified during an identification parade on Monday, and since then investigations have been spearheaded by ASP Niam Gyan from the Arouca CID.

Sup Garvin Simon was shot during a botched robbery at a gas station in Piarco on April 26.

Simon, police said, shot back at his attackers, causing them to flee.

Police believed one of the suspects had been injured in the incident, which was captured on CCTV footage.

Immediately after the incident, an operation to capture the suspects was launched, overseen by Snr Sup David, with assistance from Cpl Jaggasar, Cpl Griffith, Cpl Bridgemohansingh, PC Remy, PC Guevara, WPC Thomas, PC St Clair, PC Kerr, among others.

By midday, one of the suspects was held in a bushy area off Factory Road Extension, Oropune Gardens.

Police said a firearm was found nearby.

Two others were subsequently held but were released. 

This newly charged suspect would be the fourth detained but the second to be charged following identification parades. 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: