Friday 29 May, 2020

Update: Police inspector gets $500K bail for rape of 16-yr-old

Editor's note: This story has been updated

Police Inspector Christopher Fuentes was granted $500,000 bail when he appeared in the Sangre Grande Magistrates' Court on Thursday, charged with abduction, false imprisonment and three sexual offences against a teenage girl.

The 55-year-old senior police officer appeared alongside his colleague, acting Corporal Dindial Joseph, who was granted $80,000 bail for sexual touching. 

Both men appeared before magistrate Brahmanand Dubay.

The matter was postponed to September 11.

Meanwhile, the 16-year-old girl, who is also a mother, also faced the court to answer to larceny charges. She is accused of robbing Fuentes of his gun, wallet and gold chain.

Her matter was postponed to April 8.

Original story

A police inspector, with 35 years of service, is to be charged with rape, abduction and false imprisonment.

The charges come after allegations were made by a 16-year-old girl that the incident took place on Sangre Grande on March 15, 2019.

Initially, the inspector had reported to police that his police-issued firearm had been stolen during a lime with two other officers and a woman he did not know at his Sangre Grande home.

Other items, Eastern Division police were told, including his wallet and a gold chain were also allegedly stolen.

The investigators were able to track down the other two officers and the female and they soon discovered that the “woman” was a minor.

The tables then turned against the police inspector as the 16-year-old told investigators that she had been taken to the inspector’s home against her will in an unmarked vehicle and that she had been abducted and sexually assaulted. 

The victim has since been handed over to officers of the Child Protection Unit.

And investigations were conducted into the incident.

The inspector, along with a police corporal who was also at the home at the time, was pointed out in identification parades on Monday. Both are expected to be charged.

A third officer, a police constable who was also detained in this investigation, has been released without charge.

The two officers were due to appear before a Sangre Grande Magistrate on Friday.

More on this as it becomes available. 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: