Monday 13 July, 2020

Polymer birth certificates required for US immigrant visa applications

Applying for a US immigrant visa? Make sure you have your computer-generated polymer birth certificate, according to an update from the US Embassy in Trinidad and Tobago.

In an update shared to social media on January 28, 2019, the US Embassy said this is required for all immigrant visa applications from February 1, 2019.

"#VisaUpdate: Starting February 1, 2019, U.S. Embassy Port of Spain will require the new green polymer, computer-generated civil documents issued by the Registrar General."

"These include Trinidad and Tobago birth certificates, marriage certificates, and death certificates. All previous versions of these civil documents will no longer be accepted."

"Please ensure that you have your updated documents prior to your scheduled immigrant visa interview in order to avoid any delays in visa processing," the Embassy said. 

According to the US Bureau of Consulate Affairs, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business (visa category B-1), for tourism (visa category B-2), or for a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2).

For more information on the US visa application process see here:

To search for your birth certificate details and order a polymer certificate online, click here:

To contact the Registrar General's offices see here: 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: