Thursday 18 July, 2019

Prison officer’s murder prompts late night meeting of prison executive

Acting Commissioner of Prisons Gerard Wilson last night engaged in sessions with members of the Prison Executive and other law enforcement officials, following the shooting death of acting Prisons Officer II Davendra Boodooram.

Officer Boodooram was shot to death on Friday whilst sitting in traffic on Frederick Street in the vicinity of St. Mary's College around 5 pm.

According to reports, the prison officer had just completed his tour of duty.

Related Article

A release from the Prison Service last night said the Commissioner of Prisons would respond soon and added that the matter is being investigated.

“A response from the Commissioner is imminent as this brazen act has engaged his full attention. The incident is, at present, under investigation and additional information is forthcoming. The Trinidad and Tobago Prison Service, in conjunction with the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service and other Law Enforcement agencies are utilising all of their resources for a speedy resolve into bringing the perpetrators to justice. Our sincerest and heartfelt condolences go out to the family, friends and colleagues of Officer Boodooram.”

National Security Minister Edmund Dillon in a statement last night condemned the killing of the prison officer, describing the murder as a ‘brazen act.’

Officer Boodooram’s killing comes days after a video surfaced on social media platform, Facebook showing inmates being beaten by prison officers.

It is not yet known if the video is linked to his killing.

Related Article

The video, which sparked outrage among social media users, showed prison officers kicking and beating inmates as they lay tied up on the ground.

Following this, the Prison Service issued a release in which it informed that there was a lockdown of the Port of Spain Prison to conduct routine checks.

It denied reports that the lockdown was linked an attempted jailbreak.

However, the Prison Service said that during the lockdown several challenges were faced, including a major standoff with inmates.

It said this resulted in some prisoners sustaining non-life-threatening injuries and some having to be forcibly restrained after officers were met with improvised weapons and physical acts of violence and aggression.

Yesterday, attorneys met with several inmates at the Port of Spain Prison who were injured during the lockdown and search of the facility.

They are planning to take legal action against the state.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: