Royal Caribbean to transform CocoCays Island in The Bahamas
Royal Caribbean is upgrading its private island CocoCays in the Bahamas.
The upgrade is part of the cruise ship's investment for its Perfect Day Island Collection, a series unrivalled and exclusive private island destinations around the world.
The US$200 million transformation will include:
- Thrill Waterpark, featuring two brag-worthy water towers with 13 slides – the most slides found in any waterpark in the Caribbean – will include the 135-foot-tall Daredevil's Peak, the tallest waterslide in North America. In addition, the waterpark will feature the Caribbean's largest wave pool and a kid-friendly obstacle course pool.
- Oasis Lagoon, the Caribbean's largest freshwater pool, with a swim-up bar and in-pool loungers.
- A 1,600-foot zip line that crisscrosses the island at up to 50 feet high and features the only water landing in the Caribbean.
- A helium balloon, dubbed Up, Up and Away, floats up to 450 feet above the ground providing for the highest vantage point in The Bahamas.
- Two specially designed beaches – Chill Island for the ultimate beach escape, complete with pristine, crystal-clear tropical waters and white powder-like sand – and plentiful cabanas and daybeds for relaxation; and the action-packed South Beach with volleyball, beachside basketball, soccer, paddle boarding, glass-bottom kayaking and zorbing in an inflatable zorb ball.
- The exclusive Coco Beach Club will offer an upscale island experience that will feature the first overwater cabanas in The Bahamas.
The island transformation will roll out in phases beginning September 2018 with the completion of a new pier, and by spring 2019 the majority of the island's experiences will be open. Coco Beach Club, the final phase, is set to open November 2019. Additional Perfect Day Island Collection destinations in Asia, Australia and the Caribbean will be announced at a later date.
"It's true that our ships are technological and engineering marvels in their own right and offer a multitude of unexpected experiences; but our destinations are an equally important part of the cruise vacation," said Michael Bayley, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International.
"We are introducing the Perfect Day Island Collection to deliver the most memorable vacation for adventure seekers on land and on board our ships. Once completed Perfect Day at CocoCay will be the ultimate family destination in the Caribbean."
CocoCays will be among the stops for the Soca by the Seas cruise later this year.