Monday 30 March, 2020

Saint Martin: Sandy ground remains blocked

The Sandy Ground area in Saint Martin continues to remain blocked despite word from French Overseas Minister Annick Girardin that the Natural Risk Prevention Plan PPRN procedure would be suspended to allow for revision of the document.  

The Prefecture de Saint Barthelemy et de Saint-Martin says schools re-opened today except for those in the Sandy Ground area where blockages continue and access for educational staff remain difficult.  

An expert team from Paris will visit early next year to assist with revision of the PPRN.

In response to the Minister’s announcement, members of the technical operational committee (COT) remind that the question of the PPRN is still a major concern for the entire saint-Martin population, despite the undeniable progress proposed by the minister. 

Fiery riots erupted last week in French St Martin last week, with gendarmes being brought out as reinforcement to quell protesters. 

Loops News was told that the reason for the protest is because, against the advice of the Collectivity of St Martin (COM) and without any research on the social or economic effects, the Natural Risk Prevention Plan (PPRN) laws were being implemented.  

 

 

 

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: