SEA to be held on April 2
Standard five students across Trinidad and Tobago will sit the Secondary Entrance Assessment Exam on April 2, this year.
According to the Ministry of Education, 19 363 students will participate in this year’s exam. Minister Anthony Garcia revealed that the figure could be the highest in the last decade.
Further crunching the numbers, he said that there’s an equal playing field in terms of the gender counts this year. “Of those children writing the exam, 9 772 are boys while 9 551 students are girls. So you see this year the boys outnumber the girls, but not by too many,” he said.
The three-component exam will feature a 50-minute-long Creative Writing paper, a 75-minute Mathematics paper and a 75-minute Language Arts paper.
In reflecting on last year’s concern that the Mathematics paper proved to be too difficult for some, Garcia is reminding parents that the exam is set to challenge creative writing, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
He also assured that the ministry is ready to hold up their end of the process. “All the actors from the Ministry of Education will be trained. They will undergo rigorous training to ensure that everything runs smoothly,” he explained.
Chief Education Officer, Harrilal Seecharan revealed that the parents of 6 751 students opted out of having their children’s names and results published in the newspaper following the exam. He says it reflects about a third of the total number and assured that their requests would be fulfilled.