Security stepped up at SFGH after pregnant woman attacked
Security is being stepped up at the San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH) after a pregnant woman was allegedly attacked by a shirtless man last Friday.
CEO of the South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA), Dr Albert Persaud, said the incident was concerning but assured that the woman is physically unharmed and that police are investigating CCTV footage to find the attacker.
According to reports, the pregnant woman, who had been in the Obstetrics Department, had gone to the toilet when she was accosted by a man with no shirt on, who tried to pull her into one of the stalls.
The women, however, managed to escape and called for help. The suspect, however, got away.
Dr Persaud said that the man was captured on video and police will be reviewing the footage.
He said that the incident was unfortunate and that the SWRHA is taking measures to ensure that this never reoccurs.
"Security was stepped up immediately, within minutes of the incident. The patient is quite ok and operations are now back to normal. We attended to the problem and most importantly, we're ensuring that security is more vigilant moving forward."
"We're very sorry that this incident occurred but we will make sure that there is no recurrence of this," he said.
Persaud also said that security services at the SFGH are operational 24-7 and that a full complement of security officers are present both during the day and at night.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store: http://bit.ly/GetiLoop