Seven Venezuelans, one Trini in court for card skimming
Eight men including seven Venezuelans who were arrested by Fraud Squad officers in connection with a card-skimming ring in the Northern Division have appeared before a Magistrate on Friday.
The suspects; 23-year-old Jose Gregorio Medina Gonzales, a Trinidadian with dual Venezuelan citizenship; Ricardo Ramiro Cardo Ramiro Garcia Paz, 25; Illam Bracko, 25; Douglas Alberto Gomez Luzardo, 30; Charles Enrique Tarrealba Rodriguez, 32; Ender Nazare de Jesus Baptista Contreras, 35; Fernando Enrique Anzola Salas 40; and Joaquin Javier Leal Villalobos, 41; were denied bail and remanded into custody.
The men appeared in the Tunapuna Magistrates’ Court on September 23, 2019.
Under the supervision of Snr Supt Deosaran, officers of the Fraud Squad’s ABM Task Force executed a comprehensive and strategic physical search of a three-bedroom apartment along Bedassie Street, St Augustine South, at 9.30 pm on September 17, 2019.
The search resulted in officers discovering:
- One ASUS laptop;
- Two HP laptops;
- Card reader/writers;
- Gold and silver coloured cards bearing magnetic strips;
- Three green coloured plastic items resembling that of an ATM card slot covers and
- Two black rectangular plastic objects bearing batteries;
- Pinhole cameras with memory cards;
- ATM receipts;
- TT$9,580.00 and US$2,350.00;
- Four packets of cured marijuana;
- Universal chargers;
- USB cables attached to circuit boards and pinhole cameras and electronic
- Orange coloured multi-meter tester;
- One flat plastic panel;
- Cellphones; and `
- Venezuelan passports, identification cards, and drivers’ permits bearing names of various Venezuelan persons
The accused were at the apartment at the time of the search. They were arrested and jointly charged with trafficking counterfeit cards, possession of card-making equipment and possession of marijuana by acting Cpl Trim of the Fraud Squad, on September 20, 2019.
The matter has been adjourned to October 21, 2019.