Six held for questioning after spike in shootings, homicides
Following a spike in homicides in the Port of Spain Division last week, six people are currently being questioned by police.
The suspects, said to be between the ages of 17 and 34, were said to have been arrested on Tuesday morning during a police exercise by officers of the Port of Spain CID and the Canine Unit.
The exercise, which was led by Snr Sup Ajith Persad, with assistance from ASP Parriman, Sgt Williams, and Sgt Austin, among several others, saw officers swoop down on the Laventille community.
All six suspects are said to be “well known” to the police and are being questioned in relation to shootings and killings in the district in recent times.
The latest of these killings took place on Friday night where three persons were gunned down.
Dead are Curtis Hepburn, 49, Carlos Abraham, 38, and Joshua James 16, who were reportedly all within sufficient proximity to Liberty Bar along Erica Street, Laventille around 10:45 pm on Friday.
Reports state that a heavily-tinted vehicle pulled alongside the men, gunmen exited the car and opened fire on the group.
The attackers then returned to the car and fled the scene.
Hepburn, Abraham and James were all shot in the attack and succumbed to their injuries.
More on this as information becomes available.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store: http://bit.ly/GetiLoop