Suspect surrenders in connection with Mayaro rape case
A man who police were told raped a coconut vendor along the Mayaro Beach last week, has surrendered to police.
The suspect, a 34-year-old man from the Mayaro community, surrendered on Tuesday.
He walked into the station and told officers he was there to aid with their inquiries as he had been informed that they were looking for him.
He denied the claims made against him, however, he was detained and is expected to be interviewed.
Following this process, and upon examination of the evidence presented, a decision will be made on whether to charge the individual.
The allegations stem from an incident which took place at the coconut vendor’s booth around 10.30am on Thursday.
The booth is located along Mayaro Beach.
The victim told police that she was at the booth when she was approached by the suspect.
There was an argument between the two parties which became physical.
During this fight, the man allegedly overpowered the woman and forced her to the ground where he had sex with her against her will.
The suspect then fled the scene.
The police and paramedics were notified and the woman was rushed to the Mayaro District Health Facility.
WPC Denoon is continuing inquiries.
More on this as it becomes available.