Monday 24 February, 2020

Toddler suffers burns from boiling pot of rice

A two-year-old child has sustained second degree burns to her upper body after a pot of boiling rice fell on her.

The incident allegedly took place around 5.30 pm at the child’s home along Samuel Cooper Trace, Moruga.

Police were told that the toddler was with her mother in the bathroom, having just finished a bath, when she darted from the room.

Within seconds, police were told, the child managed to reach the stove and pull down a pot of rice that was boiling.

The boiling water fell on her torso and left thigh.

The 25-year-old mother raised an alarm and took the toddler to the Princes Town District Health Facility.

Nurses at the facility contacted the Princes Town police, and PC Ramcharit and PC Jugmohan responded.

The toddler was treated and is expected to be transferred to the burns unit of the San Fernando General Hospital.

The 25-year-old woman is aiding with inquiries, police said.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: